Magento vs. ATG
Every eCommerce organization is trying to increase investment in eCommerce and enhance their trade. To implement end-to-end eCcommerce requires system integration with plugins, improved security, more product offering, flexible pricing, properly optimized, and use of proper web analytics and many more.
For this we now have lots of options in the eCommerce platform. This includes open source solutions like Magento, KONAKART, and Virtuemart, and commercial eCommerce platforms like Hybris, ATG etc.
In our last blog we had discussed a comparison between Magento and Hybris (check here). Now we will discuss about Magento and ATG.
Magento Enterprise provides the eCommerce businesses with extraordinary flexibility and control over the looks, contents and the functionality of your online store. Magento Enterprise is highly scalable and can be customized easily to meet all the unique business requirements of every e-Retailer. Apart from that, Magento also supports a lot of plug-ins to ensure success of your eCommerce online portal. Using the Magento Enterprise platform, the e-Retailers can use the power of best-in-class marketing and merchandising abilities.
Advantages of Using Magento
- Magento has inbuilt tools for marketing and promotions management along with marketing reminders, gift coupons, discounts etc.
- It offers good security with strong data encryption, access to the admin user based on roles and permissions etc.
- It also supports dynamic customer information management.
- It also make search easier with the help of Solr.
- It also has options like order editing, Content staging and Merging, and Google checkouts.
- It also helps your to have multiple languages and multiple store view options.
- It helps to have country specific customization, site registration, shipping address and billing address along with the ability to specify pay per method.
Problems faced while using Magento
- It is very difficult to do cart modification as it takes a longer time.
- The system requirements of Magento are quiet extensive as it requires PHP 5.2.0 that will be extended with mcrypt, PDO_MySQL and xml.
- It becomes very difficult to host the Magento based web-stores as it becomes a bit costly.
ATG Commerce offers a complete, highly flexible and scalable eCommerce platform that provides application solutions that will help in automating and personalizing the online buying experience to increase the conversion rates and the order value, so as to ensure customer loyalty. It has a component-based eCommerce software architecture, which enables you to easily implement world class eCommerce sites.
Advantages of Using ATG Commerce
- It has a complete multichannel eCommerce suite along with strong personalization.
- It offers best in class shopping cart management.
- It has got rich Internet Application (IA) capabilities.
- It supports multi-site, multi-language and multi-currency site views.
- With ATG you can have multiple deployment choices.
- It also offers inbuilt iPhone mobile store applications.
Problems faced while using ATG Commerce
- It is very costly compared to Magento.
- It creates difficulty in offering customer support in case the customer resides outside North America.
Companies will have to select appropriate eCommerce platforms based on their specific business needs, that will make the eCommerce web-store flexible and also scalable enough to meet the new requirements that becomes important in case of technology upgrades.
Based on the discussions and considering the must have features, the widely supporting three existing eCommerce platforms having goof functionalities as compared to the rest are Hybris, Magento and ATG.
Comparison between Magento and ATG
As an eCommerce retailer you might need to be quick to start your multichannel strategy along with customizations, so as to meet the growing online customers’ demand for your wide product range. It this case it is good to rely on Magento. One can easily create a user-friendly eCommerce website using and get started with adding things to the cart, and wish lists. It also has improved navigation and can carry out easy price integration, product and stock information to the website.
Magento allows one to internationalize easily. One can easily send newsletters, use strong analytics supports with Magento. But Magneto can be considered as boon for the small and medium scale eCommerce business. However there is a lot of issues found related to scalability etc. making it difficult to be used by the enterprise level customization for large scale business needs.
If you want to mainly focus on the personalization of your store, customer interaction, targeting and merchandizing, then the best option is to use ATG for your eCommerce platform. The only problem found related to ATG is that it is priced slightly higher when compared with Magento. It also cause difficulty while implementing multi-language and multi-currency capabilities by using ATG. It also doesn’t have in depth product content management features as in case of Magento.
So decide accordingly and design..
[We are Connecting Dots, a full service eCommerce solutions company. At Connecting Dots, we help companies build great online businesses, we are Magento implementation partners and build great eCommerce portals]